Spring is a season of renewal, and rejuvenation which always feels imperative after a season of turning inward and reflecting. When springtime comes, I feel like I want to hang myself out on the clothes line and let my anxious mind, and my chilled bones be aired out by the cool spring breeze. It feels so refreshing to have a glimpse of spring, even if it's just a day or two of warmer weather, being able to open up the windows, let the fire die down and sit on the porch listening to the chorus of birds.
Right now, everything is wet. Every walkway, every field, every garden bed, everything! This has become quite frustrating for us because we are trying to prepare beds for spring. But instead they are mud piles, squishy mud and thick as glue! It’s time for a couple of very sunny and dry days, so we can clean out the grass from our newly tilled beds, prepare them, and then plow and disc our main field and our neighbors field in order to start planting and set out the irrigation. We are ready to get a move on it! I feel the excitement in my bones!
Currently we are tending our seed starts, our little chicks, and building rabbit hutches, farm stands, farm signs, fencing, painting bee hives, building tables, mulching, pruning fruit trees, planting trees, finishing our kitchen and more! It has been an amazingly productive year so far! When I think about how much we've accomplished, I think HOLY COW that's awesome and then I feel exhausted just thinking about it. Currently, we are preparing all of the structures that we will need throughout the year, as we wait for the ground to soak up the water and the plants to grow.
We are starting up the sign up process for weekly flower arrangement delivery CSA and the monthly Farmer's Hands to Table Supper Club. Both of these are services that can be subscribed, given as gifts, possibly done with work share. To explain a little more, we have include some more information about these services.
Flower CSA Membership
- 12 week local and unique flower arrangement CSA.
- (12 weeks) June 24th-September 23rd or (6 weeks) either June 24th to August 5th or August 5th to September 23rd
- We grow special varieties of flowers to share with the community, and have unique country and playful arranging techniques. By supporting The Farmer's Hands Flower CSA you are supporting the passions of two young farmers and having the opportunity to provide yourself with fresh floral inspiration every week.
- We always use flowers that we grow, but based on seasonality and availability. We supplement with unique greenery, leaves, dried flowers and woody plants when necessary.
- The CSA will run from June 24th to September 23rd
- Deliveries will happen on Wednesdays
- Value of arrangements will average at about 15-20 dollars a week
- Pay for arrangements plus a delivery fee to make up a full membership rate
- Please provide us with a drop off location at your home that is shaded and protected from wind for the arrangement to be delivered.
- The vases with the arrangements are rentals (therefore you must leave vases in your drop off location for us to pick up the following week)
- if you live farther than 20 minutes circumference around Asheville please email us and ask before purchasing
For more information check out our Flower CSA webpage
"The Farmer's Hands to Table" Supper Club
- "The Farmer's Hands to Table" Supper Club will happen the third Saturday of the month
- Reservations close the Monday before the Saturday event for preparation purposes
- Meals are served family style, outside at our farm tables, under string lights and a canopy of leaves
- Please make us aware of any food allergies at least 2 weeks before the event.
- This is a dinner CSA, the purchase of a ticket enables us to buy seeds, grow vegetables and flowers and helps us create these wonderful events. By supporting The Farmer's Hands to Table dinner CSA you are supporting the passions of two young farmers to create a hand made life that they want to share with the world.
Some of the basics about the event:
- No dogs
- No children under 13
- We will have a bonfire in our fire pit going during events
- Our farm stand will be open during events where you can purchase vegetables, fruits, flowers, and eggs. Availability will vary based on seasonality.
- By purchasing this ticket you are buying a share in The Farmer's Hands Homestead, and you are purchasing vegetables and flowers from our farm. This ticket is not payment for a service (that is our donation).
- Reimbursement policy-if event is canceled you get a credit for another dinner as reimbursement
- Rain Policy: if it rains, we will reschedule for the following week
For more information check out our the Farm Dinners webpage